Re: Upgrade Question on 10g

From: Shakespeare <whatsin_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 10:56:17 +0200

"joel garry" <joel-garry_at_home.com> schreef in bericht news:2ba10340-574e-4746-88aa-fb1c0a471e37_at_j33g2000pri.googlegroups.com... On Jul 23, 8:04 am, Mtek <m..._at_mtekusa.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are running Oracle 10.2.0.1.0. We want to upgrade to the latest
> patchset, 10.2.0.4.
>
> I guess first, is this really necessary. Also, we I noticed this
> comment in the documentation:
>
> 1. When patching from a lower 10.2 release or upgrading from 10.1.0.X
> directly to 10.2.0.4, check the current version of the Oracle time
> zone definitions with the following command:
> 2. SELECT version FROM v$timezone_file;
> o If this query reports version 4, no action is required; in this
> case, continue with steps described in section 7.6.
> o If this reports a version lower or higher then 4, see OracleMetalink
> document 553812.1 Actions for the DSTv4 update in the Release 10.2.0.4
> patchset.
>
> Item 1 says a "lower 10.2 release". I believe this is not us because
> we are on 10.2.0.1.0. However, the query to select from v$timezone
> returns a 2 for the version........which would point us to document
> 553812.1.
>
> So, am I right that this set of text is not relevant to our setup?
>
> Thank you,
>
> John.

I admit, I thought this did not apply to my situation, but what I missed was the java sdk is used by the dbconsole to time jobs. So the patch fixes everything - except the sdk. Then the jobs and email alert times are off. Be sure about which sdk version you path.

I also had issues with the dbconsole not shutting down easily, not patching, apparently patching with a reapply of the patch, but actually getting worse, then much worse as support follows metalink notes. That may or may not be platform specific (I'm on hp-ux and don't know about others, but I think I've seen similar problems posted by others). So be sure you really have all processes shut down when you think you do during the patch. If it wasn't for that, I'd think this was the easiest patch ever.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Rice-cracker quarter:

Wasn't this the patch with the >180 pages patch documentation?

Shakespeare