Re: Comments?

From: Dereck L. Dietz <dietzdl_at_ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 20:20:44 -0400

"joel garry" <joel-garry_at_home.com> wrote in message news:4facad89-7f55-44e5-85ae-cfa431b12668_at_w39g2000prb.googlegroups.com... On Jul 23, 1:28 pm, "Dereck L. Dietz" <diet..._at_ameritech.net> wrote:
> "gazzag" <gar..._at_jamms.org> wrote in message

> On 23 Jul, 02:28, "Dereck L. Dietz" <diet..._at_ameritech.net> wrote:
>

> > The below is a portion of an email describing how the plan for disaster
> > recovery has been explained to us. This is an Oracle 10g database
> > running
> > on Windows 2003 server.
>
> > The way we did the disaster recovery backup is:
>
> > Step1:
>
> > 1.. Export the entire db (with no rows option) - This will get a copy of
> > export to recreate the database with all users and system settings.
> > 2.. Export the entire schema (with no rows option) - This will get a
> > copy
> > of export to recreate empty table shells with indexes, keys and all
> > procedures, packages, functions and any other metadata for each user.
> > 3.. Export every table by schema (all table data) - This is all the
> > data.
> > Step2: Every export file is zipped and encrypted using gpg
>
> > Step3: Move the whole archive to USB drive.
>
> > The entire process takes about 5 full days. Which is ok considering its
> > once a month job. Most of it is automatically done except for moving to
> > usb
> > and preparing the scripts. The total size of this is about 170GB.
>
> > We have 1tb disks which can hold up to 5 or 6 of these copies.
>
> Who devised this "strategy"? Have they not heard of RMAN, for
> example?
>
> -g
>
> Our off site DBA.
>
> I've been harping about RMAN since I first started here (as a contractor
> before being hired in). Other than having my head bit off I was told he
> wasn't using RMAN because he didn't have an RMAN repository set up. I
> think
> I got in trouble for calling him on the fact that the repository isn't
> mandatory for using RMAN.

Aw jeez, tell the dorkus to go to the dbconsole, click on maintenance tab, click on Schedule Backup, run through the four steps for customize backup. Then if he doesn't want to schedule it to work automatically, he can cut and past the script. Or better, don't tell him, just spend five minutes to do it and say it came to you in a dream where Angelina Jolie was hurting you.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0493464/

Unfortunately the server is physically in another state.