Re: MSACCESS hangs

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 08:34:39 -0700

Pete's wrote:
> On Jul 23, 10:07 am, sybra..._at_hccnet.nl wrote:

>> On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 07:37:07 -0700 (PDT), "Pete's"
>>

>> <empete2..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> Server -- AIX 5.3 TL06 SP03, Oracle 10.2.0.1 EE
>>> Client -- Windows XP, MS Access 2003 using Oracle's ODBC driver
>>> Hey all, have a user having a problem now trying to get a listing of
>>> tables via 'link tables' operation MS Access, this is after the login
>>> dialog.  I can see the session connect and stays active until I
>>> eventually have to kill the session.  Looking at the sql it's running:
>>> SELECT count(*)
>>>    FROM user$ u, xdb.xdb$schema s
>>>    WHERE u.user# = :1
>>>      AND u.name = s.xmldata.schema_owner
>>>      AND xdb.xdb$extname2intname(s.xmldata.schema_url,
>>> s.xmldata.schema_owner) = :2
>>> Anyone have any ideas, besides upgrading?  I have updated dictionary
>>> stats, System stats are set and have not changed.
>>> TIA,
>>> Pete's
>> I would try to isolate whether it is the query or ODBC.
>> So I would turn it into a passthru query, or run it in sqlplus,
>> preferably on the server.
>>
>> BTW: Please do NOT use the sys *tables* directly. Oracle doesn't
>> guarantee their existence in future releases.
>>
>> --
>> Sybrand Bakker
>> Senior Oracle Dba

> I'm not logging in as "sysdba".
>
> The point I'm at is where you log in via the odbc connection, you type
> your userid/password, press ok. It sits there and you are waiting for
> a list of tables to be displayed. The sql I gleaned from the database
> is what either Oracle or Microsoft was running while waiting for a
> table list. I would agree with using sqlplus, however, the user(s)
> are insisting on using msaccess. Sqlplus, Sqlworksheet, Toad, .....
> all work. I know Access does not handle this table list too well when
> a user has a large number of tables they have rights too. My only
> other thoughts are windows patches may have been installed, no db or
> server patches were installed.
>
> TIA,
> Pete's
>
> Pete's

There is no way you should be logging in with MS Access and seeing user$ under normal circumstances. If you can see it then you should explain what system privs/roles were granted that allow it.

What you are describing is possibly a gross security breach.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor