Re: Upgrade Question on 10g

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 08:32:41 -0700

Mtek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are running Oracle 10.2.0.1.0. We want to upgrade to the latest
> patchset, 10.2.0.4.
>
> I guess first, is this really necessary. Also, we I noticed this
> comment in the documentation:
>
> 1. When patching from a lower 10.2 release or upgrading from 10.1.0.X
> directly to 10.2.0.4, check the current version of the Oracle time
> zone definitions with the following command:
> 2. SELECT version FROM v$timezone_file;
> o If this query reports version 4, no action is required; in this
> case, continue with steps described in section 7.6.
> o If this reports a version lower or higher then 4, see OracleMetalink
> document 553812.1 Actions for the DSTv4 update in the Release 10.2.0.4
> patchset.
>
> Item 1 says a "lower 10.2 release". I believe this is not us because
> we are on 10.2.0.1.0. However, the query to select from v$timezone
> returns a 2 for the version........which would point us to document
> 553812.1.
>
> So, am I right that this set of text is not relevant to our setup?
>
> Thank you,
>
> John.

Necessary? No!
Highly advisable? Yes!

Get your Oracle DBA to do his or her job which is to read the patch notes for 10.2.0.2, 10.2.0.3, and 10.2.0.4, review comments on metalink, and make a good decision on behalf of the organization.

A DBA that doesn't do this as part of their regular job should learn to say "do you want fries with that?"

--
Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor