Re: Upgrade Question on 10g

From: DA Morgan <>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 08:32:41 -0700

Mtek wrote:
> Hi,
> We are running Oracle We want to upgrade to the latest
> patchset,
> I guess first, is this really necessary. Also, we I noticed this
> comment in the documentation:
> 1. When patching from a lower 10.2 release or upgrading from 10.1.0.X
> directly to, check the current version of the Oracle time
> zone definitions with the following command:
> 2. SELECT version FROM v$timezone_file;
> o If this query reports version 4, no action is required; in this
> case, continue with steps described in section 7.6.
> o If this reports a version lower or higher then 4, see OracleMetalink
> document 553812.1 Actions for the DSTv4 update in the Release
> patchset.
> Item 1 says a "lower 10.2 release". I believe this is not us because
> we are on However, the query to select from v$timezone
> returns a 2 for the version........which would point us to document
> 553812.1.
> So, am I right that this set of text is not relevant to our setup?
> Thank you,
> John.

Necessary? No!
Highly advisable? Yes!

Get your Oracle DBA to do his or her job which is to read the patch notes for,, and, review comments on metalink, and make a good decision on behalf of the organization.

A DBA that doesn't do this as part of their regular job should learn to say "do you want fries with that?"

Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor
Puget Sound Oracle Users Group