Re: MSACCESS hangs

From: Pete's <>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 08:21:08 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 23, 10:07 am, wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 07:37:07 -0700 (PDT), "Pete's"
> <> wrote:
> >Server -- AIX 5.3 TL06 SP03, Oracle EE
> >Client -- Windows XP, MS Access 2003 using Oracle's ODBC driver
> >Hey all, have a user having a problem now trying to get a listing of
> >tables via 'link tables' operation MS Access, this is after the login
> >dialog.  I can see the session connect and stays active until I
> >eventually have to kill the session.  Looking at the sql it's running:
> >SELECT count(*)
> >    FROM user$ u, xdb.xdb$schema s
> >    WHERE u.user# = :1
> >      AND = s.xmldata.schema_owner
> >      AND xdb.xdb$extname2intname(s.xmldata.schema_url,
> >s.xmldata.schema_owner) = :2
> >Anyone have any ideas, besides upgrading?  I have updated dictionary
> >stats, System stats are set and have not changed.
> >TIA,
> >Pete's
> I would try to isolate whether it is the query or ODBC.
> So I would turn it into a passthru query, or run it in sqlplus,
> preferably on the server.
> BTW: Please do NOT use the sys *tables* directly. Oracle doesn't
> guarantee their existence in future releases.
> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle Dba

I'm not logging in as "sysdba".

The point I'm at is where you log in via the odbc connection, you type your userid/password, press ok. It sits there and you are waiting for a list of tables to be displayed. The sql I gleaned from the database is what either Oracle or Microsoft was running while waiting for a table list. I would agree with using sqlplus, however, the user(s) are insisting on using msaccess. Sqlplus, Sqlworksheet, Toad, ..... all work. I know Access does not handle this table list too well when a user has a large number of tables they have rights too. My only other thoughts are windows patches may have been installed, no db or server patches were installed.

Pete's Received on Wed Jul 23 2008 - 10:21:08 CDT

Original text of this message