Re: Migrating an Application from SQL Server 2000 to Oracle 10g

From: DA Morgan <>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 15:38:28 -0700

Gints Plivna wrote:
> On 22 Jūl., 04:05, DA Morgan <> wrote:

>> Are you ready to go toe-to-toe with Joe Celko and many others and
>> argue that one should never use a natural key?

> That's never ending long windy road (debate), but because someone <put
> absolutely any name here> doesn't like it, it doesn't mean, everyone
> should follow that ;)
> Gints Plivna

Ok ... I hate surrogate keys with a passion.

That doesn't mean I don't use them but never when a natural key exists.

By definition a surrogate key allows duplicate data which violates the basic purpose of having a primary key in the first place. And, where a surrogate is used for purposes of making joins easier you end up having to create a unique constraint and its associated index anyway.

Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor
Puget Sound Oracle Users Group