Re: Migrating an Application from SQL Server 2000 to Oracle 10g

From: Gints Plivna <gints.plivna_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 04:57:09 -0700 (PDT)

On 22 Jūl., 04:01, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> Gints Plivna wrote:
> > And I've also looked a bit in SQL Server 2008. It has quite nice Merge
> > statement wich it seems works smarter than Oracle Merge (for example
> > does only delete and not at first update and then delete).
>
> The comparison could have been far more complete but I was trying to
> hit the items where I could name a specific piece of syntax that
> performed a specific function rather than something that might be
> used for multiple purposes like the WITH clause. For example on the
> Oracle side I didn't get into RAC, Flashback, etc. all of which
> have no SQL Server equivalents.

Ahh OK I see the point. However now it looks like SQL Server cannot make recursive queries at all. However it can, just a in different way. OK but that's your paper and your decision :)

> One can always avoid the update with Oracle's merge by doing
> something with a bit of creativity similar to the old WHERE 1=2.

So effectively skipping any delete also, because in order to do deletes with merge statement in Oracle one must firstly obligatory update the row and then delete.

Gints Plivna
http://www.gplivna.eu Received on Tue Jul 22 2008 - 06:57:09 CDT

Original text of this message