Re: Migrating an Application from SQL Server 2000 to Oracle 10g

From: Gints Plivna <>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 04:57:09 -0700 (PDT)

On 22 Jūl., 04:01, DA Morgan <> wrote:
> Gints Plivna wrote:
> > And I've also looked a bit in SQL Server 2008. It has quite nice Merge
> > statement wich it seems works smarter than Oracle Merge (for example
> > does only delete and not at first update and then delete).
> The comparison could have been far more complete but I was trying to
> hit the items where I could name a specific piece of syntax that
> performed a specific function rather than something that might be
> used for multiple purposes like the WITH clause. For example on the
> Oracle side I didn't get into RAC, Flashback, etc. all of which
> have no SQL Server equivalents.

Ahh OK I see the point. However now it looks like SQL Server cannot make recursive queries at all. However it can, just a in different way. OK but that's your paper and your decision :)

> One can always avoid the update with Oracle's merge by doing
> something with a bit of creativity similar to the old WHERE 1=2.

So effectively skipping any delete also, because in order to do deletes with merge statement in Oracle one must firstly obligatory update the row and then delete.

Gints Plivna Received on Tue Jul 22 2008 - 06:57:09 CDT

Original text of this message