Re: Migrating an Application from SQL Server 2000 to Oracle 10g

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 18:04:14 -0700

Michael Austin wrote:

> Gints Plivna wrote:

>>> I just completed a review of a massive amount of SQL Server 2008
>>> docs and have an installed copy of the product that I am using
>>> to create a similar mapping page for the newest version. But,
>>> again, I see nothing like autonomous transactions, exception_init,
>>> serially reusable, or inline in the product.
>>
>> BTW Daniel there is one thing with your excellent comparison paper -
>> SQL Server 2005 of course doesn't have Hierarchical queries in form of
>> start with ..connect by, but recursive queries can be performed using
>> common table expressions (in oracle world these are called subquery
>> factoring or WITH clause). So in general recursive queries are
>> available also in SQL Server just with different mechanism.
>> And I've also looked a bit in SQL Server 2008. It has quite nice Merge
>> statement wich it seems works smarter than Oracle Merge (for example
>> does only delete and not at first update and then delete).
>>
>> Gints Plivna
>> http://www.gplivna.eu
>

> One thing I ran into is having to create sequences and triggers for all
> of those "auto-increment" data types in SQLServer and MySQL that a lot
> of people like to use for the PK... (which IMO is a complete waste of
> compute time if the data can be a self-unique PK - but that is just me)
>
> Some of the procedures also had to be replicated - some with more
> success than others...

You don't have to create more than one sequence ... ever. More is because you chose to do it that way. Neither are triggers required.

INSERT INTO t
(rid)
VALUES
(seq.NEXTVAL);

works just fine.

Again what you did was your choice not required by Oracle.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor