Re: Network Issue

From: Erik Dahle <erikda_at_ifi_dot_uio.no>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 22:28:20 +0200

sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl wrote:

> Can I assume you used ftp for this test? Ftp does no special buffering
> and it's packets won't be bigger than the MTU of the network card.
> Talking of it, assuming we are discussing 1 Gb Ethernet, did you set
> the jumboframes property to true on the IBM side? (I'm not aware of a
> corresponding Solaris setting, but is must be there). This will
> increase the MTU from 1500 to 9000, so you will have less latency

Increasing MTU will increase latency, but improve throughput. It seems like the OP is using a crossover cable, but if not, remember that your switches must be configured to support a MTU larger than 1500. Cisco defaults to 1500.

> You could also think of a different strategy. I found out using nfs is
> way faster than scp, provided you set up the nfs mount point with 32k
> buffers.

Or you can try to use scp with the "-c blowfish" option. But if you really need speed, use netcat :) At the server console:

$ nc -v -w 30 -p 5600 -l > filename.back

and on the client side:

$ nc -v -w 2 10.0.1.1 5600 < filename

Where 5600 is the port the server is listening on, and 10.0.1.1 is the server ip.

--
Erik