Re: what is a "module" in the context of DBMS_APPLICATION_INFO.SET_MODULE?

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 15:51:53 +0200

l'il john l'concharoo wrote:
> hi group,
>
> first off, thanks to Steve Howard and DA Morgan for helping me out on my
> last post. much appreciated.
>
> my question today refers to these statements in the oracle documentation for
> DBMS_APPLICATION_INFO:
> http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B28359_01/appdev.111/b28419/d_appinf.htm
> [emphasis mine]:
>
> "Application developers can use the DBMS_APPLICATION_INFO package with
> Oracle Trace and the SQL trace facility to record names of executing
> _modules_ ..."
>
> "..Your applications should set the name of the module and name of the
> action automatically each time a user enters that _module_ ..."
>
> i assume that the use of the word "module" there is used in the general sql
> sense (referring to an object that contains sql statements, routines or
> procedures). or does the word "module" have a different meaning in oracle?

If your app uses Forms, set it to the
name of the form, optionally followed by the program unit or library, you are executing. If it's PL/SQL, use the package.object notation.

Of course, it's all a matter of taste; the more you use it, the more you'll be able to pin point things like latch, lock and performance problems in your application.

Web modules - I like to use a lot of DBMS_A_I calls in web (PL/SQL) units. Java could
call them as well, of course, but I fail to see where Java is a real help for the things I come up with.

--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel