Re: Migrating an Application from SQL Server 2000 to Oracle 10g

From: Michael Austin <maustin_at_firstdbasource.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 22:58:41 -0500

Gints Plivna wrote:

>> I just completed a review of a massive amount of SQL Server 2008
>> docs and have an installed copy of the product that I am using
>> to create a similar mapping page for the newest version. But,
>> again, I see nothing like autonomous transactions, exception_init,
>> serially reusable, or inline in the product.

> BTW Daniel there is one thing with your excellent comparison paper -
> SQL Server 2005 of course doesn't have Hierarchical queries in form of
> start with ..connect by, but recursive queries can be performed using
> common table expressions (in oracle world these are called subquery
> factoring or WITH clause). So in general recursive queries are
> available also in SQL Server just with different mechanism.
> And I've also looked a bit in SQL Server 2008. It has quite nice Merge
> statement wich it seems works smarter than Oracle Merge (for example
> does only delete and not at first update and then delete).
>
> Gints Plivna
> http://www.gplivna.eu

One thing I ran into is having to create sequences and triggers for all of those "auto-increment" data types in SQLServer and MySQL that a lot of people like to use for the PK... (which IMO is a complete waste of compute time if the data can be a self-unique PK - but that is just me)

Some of the procedures also had to be replicated - some with more success than others... Received on Sat Jul 19 2008 - 22:58:41 CDT

Original text of this message