Re: Calculating space

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 11:36:10 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 16, 8:27 pm, ph3ng <jth..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am a junior dba. I was wondering if anyone could point me how to do
> the following?:
>
> I am currently trying to verify/calculate the size of my current
> oracle db/schema. I've been using:
>
> select sum(bytes)/1024/1024 from dba_data_files + select sum(bytes)/
> 1024/1024 from v$log;
>
> (NOTE: I ran the two select statements separately. Just thought I'd
> clarify)
>
> Now I'd like to be able to know the size of the actual storage/disk
> for where that particular schema is sitting on. Is this possible? If
> so how would I be doing this, what is the syntax?
>
> Thank you

There are a lot of definitions of "size." I give each schema their own explicit storage (with one pseudo-DW exception), so I can just look at the OS files. Another way is to look at the size of the export. I've given up on actually doing selects for this stuff, I just use OEM or EM, know right away if I need to worry about anything. I tend to make data files fixed 2G, except for the most recent one, which I make autoextend max 2G. So I really just have to watch a few autoextend files, and even that is just because I haven't gotten around to tweaking the alerts.

Works for my particular needs. Archived logs and rman backups require much more careful observation as far as space used goes.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"The Piper Cub is the safest airplane in the world; it can just barely