Re: Migrating an Application from SQL Server 2000 to Oracle 10g

From: joel garry <>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 09:54:26 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 16, 9:30 am, Gints Plivna <> wrote:
> > > SELECT a.a, a.b, b.a, b.b from Database1.dbo.Table1 a LEFT JOIN
> > > Database2.dbo.Table1 b WHERE a.c = '123'
> I'm quite sure this query doesn't work on any db (at least definitely
> not on SQL Server and Oracle) because it lacks join condition (ON
> clause)

I was assuming there was some sort of tool that had this kind of syntax, since there are so many I'm not familiar with. Thanks for clearing that up. It's just illustrative so we pretty much know what the OP meant. But then again, accuracy counts, especially on initial posts!

> > The ansi sql works in Oracle,
> > I think (I don't use it).
> The so called ANSI style definitely works in Oracle. So no need to
> change them somehow, except of course that either database1 and
> database2 or dbo should be removed. Spekaing of joins I've tried to
> classify them and also compare what works in Oracle and SQL server and
> what not here:

I was kind of vaguely thinking of some bugs I had seen, even more vaguely, wasn't there one where it worked correctly in ansi and not in oracle-style?

That is one excellent paper!

> > select d1.a, d1.b, d2.a, d2.b
> > from dbo1 d1, dbo2 d2
> > where d1.c=d2.c
> >  and d1.c='123'
> > /
> If the original query would have join condition and therefore would be
> valid query, then in the old oracle way we had to use outer join
> operator (+) because LEFT indicates it is outer join. But as of today
> there is absolutely no need to do that especially for already working
> code.

But the "I don't use it" excuse covers all sorts of brain farts :-)

I also meant to second gazzag's mention of the concepts manual. All this should be in a faq.

-- is bogus.