Migrating an Application from SQL Server 2000 to Oracle 10g

From: tcole6 <tcole6_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 15:38:17 -0700 (PDT)

We have an application that was written using SQL Server 2000 as the RDBMS. We now have a need to convert this to Oracle. We know that we obviously need to hire an Oracle DBA, but we don't have one at this time...

Our application uses queries with joins across databases. In SQL Server this is acheived like so:

SELECT a.a, a.b, b.a, b.b from Database1.dbo.Table1 a LEFT JOIN Database2.dbo.Table1 b WHERE a.c = '123'

We absolutely do not understand the how Oracle uses Schemas, but we are hoping to be able to create a structure where the above select statement would still function. In other words we need to create these databases with tables under the schema dbo. Otherwise we would need to rewrite lots of code.

Are schemas tied to user accounts? Can anyone help me understand this, or is this information just too vague?

Thanks in advance. Received on Tue Jul 15 2008 - 17:38:17 CDT

Original text of this message