Re: Small scale - programmer driven - schema object/data restore

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 07:02:17 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 14, 9:59 pm, northof40 <shearich..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi - We have a small Oracle server used by three programmers.
> We would like programmer working on Schema A to be able to backup the
> schema (at T1) and subsequently (at T2) restore it for the purposes of
> testing etc.
>
> We would also like on customer sites when applying schema changes via
> DDL to backup the structure of the affected schema before making the
> changes.
>
> We assumed both of these would be possible via exp (with ROWS=Y) and
> imp (with IGNORE=Y, DESTROY=Y) but we find, on restore, we still have
> the data inserted between T1 and T2.
>
> As background - I know we could at least do the programmer thing by
> using RMAN but we'd rather not give the programmers access to that if
> we could avoid it; more background the data volumes are tiny.
>
> Can anyone explain what's going wrong ?
>
> thanks
>
> R.

What do you mean by
 >> we still have the data inserted between T1 and T2. <<

If you are running the import as user T1 and the T2 objects are being imported to user T1 then use the fromuser= touser= parameters or impdp equilivent to load T2 back into user T2. User T1 is probably going to have to have the EXP_FULL_DATABASE role in order to export other user's objects.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Tue Jul 15 2008 - 09:02:17 CDT

Original text of this message