Non-*.ctl Control File Naming Convention

From: <Joey.Dantoni_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 06:44:44 -0700 (PDT)

To all,

I had a vendor tell me yesterday, that it was a good idea to name all of your database related files *.dbf, including control files. This immediately set off a red flag as it violates OFA. Anyone doing this, and if so what is your rationale?

The vendor said it made UNIX find commands easier.?!?

The vendor is a "reputable reinstaller of Oracle", but there were a few other comments that made me question there knowledge.

A bit of background is that I just took a new role, and Oracle is fairly new to the shop, and they have a large implementation. So they had contracted the vendor to do the groundwork, before they hired me. At this point it's a bit of an annoyance, as I'd like to just do my own thing (well OFAs own thing) architecture wise, and not have to deal with the 3rd party.

Thanks

jd Received on Tue Jul 15 2008 - 08:44:44 CDT

Original text of this message