Re: Select max within max

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 13 Jul 2008 10:41:32 GMT

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 09:31:26 +1000, Geoff Muldoon wrote:

> Actually it will need to populate a cursor in a PL/SQL package.
>
> GM

Geoff, I work for a telecommunication company and we have a process called "rating" which assigns charging rate and a price to each call. There are approximately 3,000,000 CDR's (Call Detail Records) per day. There are many reports for the management in which management asks for max of this, min of that and so on. It was a long struggle to replace analytic functions with the triggers which were accounting for minimums and maximumx as the rating process was running. I have to proudly say that the performance benefits were great. Of course, each update is a bit more expensive then it used to be, but our server is coping just fine.

--
http://mgogala.freehostia.com