Re: Raw devices /dev/raw missing after reboot?

From: hpuxrac <>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 10:45:46 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 11, 11:49 pm, wrote:
> I'm running Oracle Linux and I'm trying to create raw devices from our
> EMC San.
> I added entries to /etc/sysconfig/rawdevices after fdisking the
> emcpowerx luns:
> /dev/raw/raw1 /dev/emcpowera1 ... etc...
> I don't know why there is no /dev/raw folder or any rawx subfolders.
> I did see a command called 'MAKEDEV raw' which seems to create the
> folders but when I reboot, they disappear hence the raw device
> mappings I did in /sysconfig/rawdevices are not there either.
> Does anyone have any hint as to what I'm missing?
> thanks. chris

Take a look at Jeffrey Hunters idevelopment site he's got lots of examples of setting up this stuff. Some you may find under RAC but just ignore the RAC part if that's not relevant to you.

You may not really need raw of course under more recent versions of linux and/or oracle software. We are in the processing of switching out from hpux over to linux OEL 5.1 using 11g and a little 10.2.

What release levels of linux and oracle are you working with ... any why? Received on Sat Jul 12 2008 - 12:45:46 CDT

Original text of this message