Re: Changing DBID

From: Chuck <>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 18:13:19 GMT

joel garry wrote:

> I'm wondering if this may answer your delete question, at least for
> the catalog:
> Also see unregister:

I may be wrong but I don't believe after a duplication the auxiliary db's backups done under the old dbid have a status of "DELETED". I think they are still "AVAILABLE". At least that's what "list backup" reports (after jumping through a few hoops to get it to even be able to list them). And I want them hanging around for a while in case I have to fall back to one of them. After all isn't that point of taking a backup in the first place?

Also I don't want to unregister the database. That would delete all of the backups for the old dbid. I want them kept until they are older than 30 days (which is my configured retention period).

These are exactly the reasons why I *want* to be able to reset the dbid to the original one. To simplify administrations of backups on a test db, in noarchivelog mode, who's backups will always be done offline, and where I want to use a simple "delete obsolete" to manage the old backups. Received on Fri Jul 11 2008 - 13:13:19 CDT

Original text of this message