Re: create database fatal error

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 11:00:27 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 7, 1:09 pm, Tommy Halsbrekk <to..._at_dummy.no> wrote:
> joel garry wrote:
>
>  >
>
> > The problem arises when non-system things get put into the system
> > tablespace.  You can wind up extending the system tablespace until it
> > is very large, in the disasterous case filling up the disk, crashing
> > the database, and being unable to shrink the tablespace, etc.
>
> > Whether that happens depends on the quality of the adminstrators and
> > developers of the db.  People who have no clue what they are doing are
> > most likely to make such mistakes.  Some things do change by version,
> > and as everyone has advised you, you can use dbca to save a create
> > database script that works.
>
> > In any event, you should check if non-system objects are in the system
> > tablespace.  Doing a job about which you are unqualified and neither
> > is management and then leaving for vacation - wouldn't give me the
> > warm 'n fuzzies.  I've cleaned up more than enough of those...
>
> Thanks for the insight, I will check it out when I get back
>
> I am not happy about the situation either and I told them to use an
> oracle expert instead, which would probably do the job in a matter of
> hours. I got no response. So, I end up getting paid for learning some
> new stuff. I think there are a number of reasons for this situation.
> 1) they are very security conscious, so they wont let anybody in to do
> any work until the have signed agreements, been trained and security
> cleared. (There is 19 courses one must do before beeing allowed to work
> there, it applies to everybody, from employees to contractors to even
> the cantine personell)
> 2) the prefer to do things inhouse
> 3) they want people to stay there for a long time, so expert support
> personell can not come in an do a couple of hours of work, thats just
> unheard of in this company.
> They basically want to do everything themselves. There isnt even any
> expert groups at enterprise level that can be contracted to do the job.
> Probably because its in another location, so I suppose they think its a
> security breach somehow.
>
> regards
>
> tommy

I see a conflict between having an inexperienced person doing work way over their heads, and people staying for a long time.

I used to work for a security company, the holes that insiders see are laughable.

Getting paid for learning new stuff is the best, but learning Oracle DBA work by jumping in and getting your hands dirty in a production environment is both risky and prone to developing bad habits, as well as often propagating old problems.

See http://www.petefinnigan.com/ regarding Oracle security. There is also a white paper floating about called something like http://www.databasesecurity.com/oracle/twp_security_checklist_db_database.pdf

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"I don't do grunt work.  Even Tiger Woods doesn't wash his own balls."