ORA-12514

From: <martin_ian_lewis_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 03:29:07 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,
I am trying to get a unix user (not the oracle user) to connect to a database on the same server.
ORACLE_SID is correctly set to REPORT in the environment. sqlplus username/password works just fine sqlplus username/password_at_REPORT
kicks out a ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect
descriptor

I dont understand why appending the SID to username/password acts differently from referencing the SID in the environment. Also I am not clear if I should set TNS_ADMIN to point to the tnsnames.ora dir of whether it is better to rely on it being in $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin <sigh>

TIA Martin Received on Tue Jul 08 2008 - 05:29:07 CDT

Original text of this message