Re: LIKE operator on CHAR column when there is no wildcard character

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 13:11:02 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 7, 8:23 am, William Robertson <williamr2..._at_googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 7, 2:29 pm, Veeru71 <m_ad..._at_hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > you are right, we should have used
> > varchar2 cols instead of char cols in the first place but this is a
> > legacy app.
>
> I wonder why they used CHAR even back in those far-off legacy days.
> There has never been a good reason to use a blank-padded character
> type in any version of Oracle. This anti-feature was introduced in
> Oracle 6 for ANSI compatibility - you weren't actually expected to use
> it.

The reason was db-heterogenity. Whether that was a good reason has always been debatable. The enterprise software I work on finally went to varchar2 a few years ago. More important than technical details, the app software works. That would be an argument for "good reason." It was quite the PITA at times, though.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Twitter and Lauren Weinstein make front page: