Re: Oracle support is sub-optimal

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2008 09:42:10 -0700

gym dot scuba dot kennedy at gmail wrote:

> "DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote in message
>> gym dot scuba dot kennedy at gmail wrote:

>>> I used to be a big fan of Oracle support. When I had some very sticky
>>> situations they came through. Now they have so segmented it that your
>>> Severity 1 SR is passed around non-stop. Actually, it is with a lot of
>>> stops. Each time they pass it around it takes at least 30 minutes for
>>> the next engineer to ask you yet again for the log files you already
>>> uploaded. If that engineer goes home then the SR languishes for over an
>>> hour in some queue. (until you call up and bitch) It shouldn't take
>>> over 12 hours for a Sev 1 SR to be resolved. Most of the time has been
>>> spent waiting for the next engineer to read the notes and ask for more or
>>> more recent logs. (for a down system, they don't change much)
>>>
>>> Then if it is a "different issue" they open yet another SR. I suspect
>>> that technique is to make their call resolution look good. (it is a
>>> different sr at that point) They are shooting themselves in the foot.
>>> Our company was purchased by another company with no Oracle experience
>>> and this will lead upper management to believe the Oracle prodcuts are
>>> "sub-optimal".
>>>
>>> Jim
>> Please email David Warhoe: david.warhoe_at_oracle.com about this matter.
>> --
>> Daniel A. Morgan
>> Oracle Ace Director & Instructor
>> University of Washington
>> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond)
>> Puget Sound Oracle Users Group
>> www.psoug.org
> Thanks Daniel,
> I sent him an email.  We are still down and now the top muckity mucks on our
> end are screaming at the duty manager. (since we have been down for 30
> hours)

The method for escalating an SR is documented at metalink. Follow it and they must escalate the SR. If, after a reasonable amount of time, the initial escalation is insufficient follow the procedure again, and again, and again. If David is not on vacation he is your best friend in moving this forward.