Re: create database fatal error

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2008 16:09:29 +0200

On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 15:55:26 +0100, Tommy Halsbrekk <tommy_at_dummy.no> wrote:

>Hi
>
>I am having some serious problems with my create data procedure. After
>the CREATE DATABASE statement i run the catalog.sql and catproc.sql
>scripts. During the catproc script it after a while encounters a massive
>amounts of errors ending up in a fatal error whihc terminates the
>session. All statements after that do not complete because its not
>connected to oracle.
>
>Does anybody know what the problem is? I am running 10.2 on solaris 10.

Surely. You are using the wrong tools for the wrong job. Tools like OUI (Oracle Universal Installer) and DBCA (Database Creation Assistant) all come with a silent mode. Using silent mode, you would need to set up a template only once, and you can use dbca from the commandline to create your database.

Your second problem is you don't even try to understand error messages.
If you would have done so, you would have noticed your SYSTEM tablespace is out of space.
Which is not surprising as a SYSTEM tablespace of 100M is a joke. It needs to be 250M minimum.

Finally: I don't think any serious DBA would like to see third party software create a database. DBAs need to decide where to host the data.
Forcing your customers to create a separate database for your application is unacceptable.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA