Re: Fresh Enterprise Manager Install Can't connect "Connection Closed"

From: Michael Austin <>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 23:24:38 -0500

DavidK wrote:

> On Jul 3, 2:18 pm, DavidK <> wrote:

>> On Jul 3, 1:57 pm, wrote:
>>> David,
>>> Your post needs a fortuneteller to decipher it.
>>> It is unclear whether you did install OEM 9i in a 8i database.
>>> It is unclear what 'I changed my oracle home to 9' means.
>>> It is unclear what 'I imported the database tree' means. Why didn't
>>> you use the Navigator in the OEM interface?
>>> It is unclear whether the OracleManagementServer is actually running.
>>> It is unclear whether you connected to the Management Console or
>>> standalone.
>>> Etc, etc, etc.
>>> To get an adequate answer, you need to post the 'detail steps', or no
>>> one can help you.
>>> --
>>> Sybrand Bakker
>>> Senior Oracle DBA
>> Sorry Sybrand, used to working with mind readers.
>> I installed OEM 9 in a 9 database. I had Oracle 8.1.7 client
>> installed on my XP PC and Oracle client 9. I changed my Oracle_home
>> to the 9 client. I did use navigator to import the tnsnames. I was
>> trying to connect standalone and I do not have a management server.
>> The Oracle 9 client install which included the enterprise manager was
>> successful. All my databases show up in the navigation tree. I
>> created the oem_repository tablespace with the user and roles and when
>> I try and connect the pop-up window says "Connection closed" and I can
>> do nothing but cancel out. This goes for the repository user I
>> created or sys, system.
>> Thanks for your help.
>> David- Hide quoted text -
> Could this be a Java issue?  The reason I ask is the net configuration
> assist in 9i oracle home never starts up but I see a jrew.exe start up
> in the task manager.
> David

I do not know about others, but I have never had very good luck installing a later version of the client on windows and successfully switching back and forth 100% of the time... We usually bite the bullet - completely remove the previous version (sometimes via a system re-image) and install the newer version.

Multiple homes seem to function much better on a ?*N*X platform :) Received on Thu Jul 03 2008 - 23:24:38 CDT

Original text of this message