The light dawns - public synonym called SYS - how to drop?

From: jeremy <>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 08:26:56 -0700 (PDT)

With reference to my other post on various SYS packages being unavailable, I now know the cause. Despite my declarations of confidence, it turns out that one of our guys (a student on work placement as it happens) wanted to create a public synonym and called it "SYS".

2 things

  1. am surprised that Oracle (10gR2) didn't object to this
  2. we are unable to drop the synonym

16:25:05 SQL> drop public synonym sys;
drop public synonym sys
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-04098: trigger 'XDB.XDB_PI_TRIG' is invalid and failed re- validation

Elapsed: 00:00:00.18
16:25:58 SQL> Anyone know how to tidy up this mess?