Re: Protect record from deletion via trigger

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 14:09:23 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 1, 4:10 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> hpuxrac wrote:
> > Tom Kyte says ( and I believe him ) "Triggers are evil" ... therefore
> > don't use them at all or at least minimize their usage.
>
> If you are going to quote Tom, and he did say it, then quote him in
> context:
>
> Responding to the statement:
> "Protecting data integrity is paramount,"
>
> Tom wrote:
>
> "indeed it is, that is why triggers are evil :)
>
> Most of the time, "business logic"/"data logic" that is implemented in
> triggers is done incorrectly (that is what I mean by people abuse
> triggers)."
>
> http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2006/09/classic-example-of-why-i-despise.html
>
> It is not the triggers that are the issue ... it is poor implementations
> with triggers. There is a time and place for triggers. And when used
> correctly they can be the best solution possible.

snip

As usual you are off base way off. Tom would like to see triggers totally removed from oracle ...

How many times did he say "triggers are evil" this year at NEOOUG? I would guess at least 20 times.

Wonder what remark he signed books with this year? Even you might be able to guess ... Received on Tue Jul 01 2008 - 16:09:23 CDT

Original text of this message