Re: User-managed incomplete recovery in noarchivelog mode

From: <>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 12:32:29 +0200

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 01:08:01 -0700 (PDT), Woody Ling <> wrote:

>Hi all,
>I have two full sets of close database files backup. One on 28 June
>and another on 29 June.
>Today, 30 June, I need to restore the whole database by using the
>backup files on 29 June.
>But I found that one of the data files, user01.dbf, was corrupted.
>Since the database is running in noarchivelog mode and the online redo
>log was overwritten, so I try
>1. Copy all db files of 29 June to replace existing.
>2. Copy the datafile, user01.dbf, of 28 June to replace the corrupted
>3. startup mount
>4. recover database until cancel (I enter CANCEL since there is no
>available redo log file.)
>5. alter database open resetlogs
>However I have error when open the database:
>ORA-01152: file 1 was not restored from a sufficiently old backup
>ORA-01110: data file 1: '/u01/oradata/system01.dbf"
>The tables in USERS tablespace is NOT important, is there any way for
>me to open the database?
>Woody Ling
>Hong Kong

Please explain to yourself why your current scenario didn't work: Why do you think you can 'mix' datafiles and controlfiles from two *different* backups?
As you are running in NOARCHIVELOG apparently, the database is not important to you.

Your only choice is to restore the backup of June 28, pray and forget about anything that happened after June 28. If that doesn't work, your database is toast, thanks to the decision of someone to run in NOARCHIVELOG.

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA