Tree walking ordering at top of tree

From: David <>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 09:00:51 -0700 (PDT)

I have the following query against the table create table employees (
  id number,
  manager_id number,
  name varchar2(100));

select,lpad(,length(*2,'-') from employees e
start with in (select

                    from   employees e2
                    where  e2.manager_id is null
                    connect by prior e2.manager_id =
connect by prior = e.manager_id;

This returns a list of employees as a hierarchy, with the managers at the top and employees below, ordered as the hierarchy is structured.

However, not all employees have a manager, and there are several top level managers. I want to list the level 1 employees in alphabetical order, without affecting the display of the hierarchy levels where they exist beneath these.

Is this possible?

Many thanks

David Received on Fri Jun 27 2008 - 11:00:51 CDT

Original text of this message