Re: Any Oracle 11g for Solaris x86?

From: <awatkins1966_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 08:04:27 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 27, 7:22 am, AGT <usenetpersonger..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 13:50:53 -0700, DA Morgan wrote:
> > AGT wrote:
> >> Youd have to ask "The Schwartz" [SpaceBalls] why he spent that 2
> >> billion or whatever it was. But I doubt it was to compete with Oracle.
> >> More like grab some of the Lie-nux pie. Exospherics like this mystify
> >> me.. Anyway to not have an 11g port for x86 Solaris would be a
> >> missed opportunity I think. Sun has some nice x86 hardware if
> >> you like that sort of thing.
> > No doubt there will be one. But the reality is that most Oracle on
> > Solaris is legacy. People buying new Sun hardware are moving to Linux.
>
> Yes the 50,000,000 Elvis fans cant be wrong syndrome.
> I was in a conference call last year with a bunch of these retards.
> A most unpleasant experience.
> The new Sun stuff is Linux "certified" - go for it if thats your thing.
> Me - Im probably buying a T2 server soon for my lab. Wouldnt touch Penguin
> OS with 10 meter pole. Even though its Sun supported on the T2 : >

I agree I would love to buy a T2 server running SPARC and all my problems would go, but when the cost of the machine is over 3 times as much I have no choice :-( [Sun X4440 £6100 = 4xAMD quad cpus, 64GB, 8x146GB]

But I will stick with Solaris even if it kills me :-)

Andrew Received on Fri Jun 27 2008 - 10:04:27 CDT

Original text of this message