Re: query optimization

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 13:24:44 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 26, 10:11 am, Garg <sendtog..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> One is been asked to me on query optimization and the question was, if
> you have to optimize a sql query which is dealing with 10 tables then
> tell me how will you go about. I can’t use stored procedures.
> As I am not a DBA, I am a simple Java developer so I am not having any
> idea about this so I given a stupid answer of creating a View.
> Could you please tell me what steps should I take to optimize that
> query.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Tarun

David's answer is better for the real world, but just for the kool-aid (like if the question was asked for a job interview or someone wants to know if you read the docs) see
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14211/sql_1016.htm#i35699

It is a good idea to read the docs and become familiar with how to research Oracle questions. There's a wiki at Oracle, and a mini-faq for this group: http://www.dbaoracle.net/readme-cdos )

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Pay-option was good for me.  But I was able to get out before it