Re: query optimization

From: joel garry <>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 13:24:44 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 26, 10:11†am, Garg <> wrote:
> Hi,
> One is been asked to me on query optimization and the question was, if
> you have to optimize a sql query which is dealing with 10 tables then
> tell me how will you go about. I canít use stored procedures.
> As I am not a DBA, I am a simple Java developer so I am not having any
> idea about this so I given a stupid answer of creating a View.
> Could you please tell me what steps should I take to optimize that
> query.
> Thanks in advance,
> Tarun

David's answer is better for the real world, but just for the kool-aid (like if the question was asked for a job interview or someone wants to know if you read the docs) see

It is a good idea to read the docs and become familiar with how to research Oracle questions. There's a wiki at Oracle, and a mini-faq for this group: )

-- is bogus.
Pay-option was good for me.  But I was able to get out before it