Re: creating database manually

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 06:59:53 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 26, 8:54 am, Tommy Halsbrekk <to..._at_dummy.no> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am doing some work to update a script (solaris) which creates oracle
> databases manually, the versions involved are from 9.2 to 10.2. I used
> the oracle admin section 2 "Manually creating an oracle database" as a
> guide.
>
> http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14231/create...
>
> The problem I have is that the script uses a different method than what
> is described in the manual, it create a number of directories :
>
> cd $ORACLE_BASE/admin
> mkdir -p $ORACLE_SID/pfile
> mkdir $ORACLE_SID/udump
> mkdir $ORACLE_SID/pdump
> mkdir -p $ORACLE_DATA/$ORACLE_SID/DATA
> mkdir $ORACLE_DATA/$ORACLE_SID/REDO+CONTROL
>
> In addition, in oracle 10 the directories structure has changed,
> compared to oracle 9 so these dirs exists elsewhere.
>
> Also the config.ora and init.ora files references miscellaneous dirs:
>
> init.ora:
> ifile=/x/c/v/config.ora
>
> config.ora:
> core_dump_dest=/x/c/v
> user_dump_dest=/x/c/v
> db_create_online_log_dest=/x/c/v/REDO+CONTROL
> db_create_file_dest=/x/c/v/DATA
> control_files=(/x/c/v/REDO+CONTROL/control01.ctl, ....)
>
> At this point I am very confused,
>
> So my questions are:
> - is it enough to just follow the procedure in the admin guide and make
> sure the different files end up at the desired directories or are there
> other steps I need to follow that the guide does not mention?
> - What are these dirs, the config params and are they all still relevant
> for 10.2?
> - are these dirs created automatically by oracle when i specify them in
> the CREATE DATABASE statement and in the init.ora file o rmust I create
> them before performing the tasks specified in the admin guide?
>
> regards
>
> tommy

You can assign the datafiles and dump files to any location you want via the spfile settings and the file names you code into your CREATE DATABASE script.

We place all our datafiles and dump files outside the Oracle binary directory structure so we can upgrade by creating totally new Oracle Homes and just start Oracle using the new home. (The init.ora/spfile being one file we copy)

Modifying the version 9 and 10 scripts to use identical structures if desired is a trivial task.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Thu Jun 26 2008 - 08:59:53 CDT

Original text of this message