Re: One sequence or many sequences?

From: Michael Austin <maustin_at_firstdbasource.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 21:53:14 -0500

Jack.Lee wrote:
> I have many tables which need sequences.I think there are two
> solutions.One is that I create each sequence for each table.The other
> is that I create only one sequence for many tables.Which is the better
> one(or another solution)?And Why?
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Jack.Lee

You need to ask yourself the right question. It isn't one or many sequences, the question is do these sequences need to be sequential or not on any of the tables. Depending on the workload, one may suffice if they do not need to be relatively sequential. If it is a heavy workload, you may need one for each regardless of the need to be sequential.

See: http://www.psoug.org/reference/sequences.html Received on Wed Jun 25 2008 - 21:53:14 CDT

Original text of this message