Re: sol 10 3 disks and 10G ASM

From: <max.fontain_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 15:42:10 -0700 (PDT)

AGT wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 05:03:00 -0700, max.fontain wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Have a development box to get together. Later a production box will be
> > provided. Idea is to craete a scalable solution for say 18 months
> > worth of data say 400Gb, but initially on a oldish Sun 440 with 3 X 18
> > GB disks which migh hold 1--2 months data - it grows linearly.
> > So anyway we have 3 disks, disk1 for Solaris 10 and reporting tool.
> > disk2 and 3 for Oracle.
> > And I want to use ASM, unless someone explains there is a better way.
> > So not quite sure how to do this. Should I install Oracle onto disk1
> > and then use ASM to manage the data on disk2 and 3.
> > Any hints gratefully received!
>
> A 440 can do a fair amount of work but expecting to run a 400 GB
> database on the 4 internal SCSI Ultra 320 HDs is a bit much.
> a) Youll want to mirror the OS etc so there goes 2 right away.
> b) you could cat the remaining two with ASM to acheive just over 400 GB.
> But only two disks and ASM..? I wonder if its even worth doing
>
> Get an HBA or two and hook up to a SAN. You can still use ASM but it
> wont make a speck of difference if the SAN is decent quality.
> What you could do is set up a small lab and test various configs with
> Swingbench

I did not explain myself very well. The production server will not be a 440 - it will be something else.
I am trying to get together a proof of concept with only 3 X 18 GB disks - I dont need to mirror the solaris disks cos it is a dvelopment box.
There will not be a SAN available for production - a disk array maybe.
I think I should shoot for ASM to manage the data on the disks - but I dont yet understand ASM properly ( have some time to read the docs next week or the week after. But I am not sure how to install Oracle so as to use ASM to manage disk2 and disk3 -maybe I have to install Oracle 10G on disk 1? Received on Wed Jun 25 2008 - 17:42:10 CDT

Original text of this message