Re: sol 10 3 disks and 10G ASM

From: AGT <>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 10:27:04 -0700

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 05:03:00 -0700, max.fontain wrote:

> Hello,
> Have a development box to get together. Later a production box will be
> provided. Idea is to craete a scalable solution for say 18 months
> worth of data say 400Gb, but initially on a oldish Sun 440 with 3 X 18
> GB disks which migh hold 1--2 months data - it grows linearly.
> So anyway we have 3 disks, disk1 for Solaris 10 and reporting tool.
> disk2 and 3 for Oracle.
> And I want to use ASM, unless someone explains there is a better way.
> So not quite sure how to do this. Should I install Oracle onto disk1
> and then use ASM to manage the data on disk2 and 3.
> Any hints gratefully received!

A 440 can do a fair amount of work but expecting to run a 400 GB database on the 4 internal SCSI Ultra 320 HDs is a bit much. a) Youll want to mirror the OS etc so there goes 2 right away. b) you could cat the remaining two with ASM to acheive just over 400 GB.

   But only two disks and ASM..? I wonder if its even worth doing

Get an HBA or two and hook up to a SAN. You can still use ASM but it wont make a speck of difference if the SAN is decent quality. What you could do is set up a small lab and test various configs with Swingbench Received on Wed Jun 25 2008 - 12:27:04 CDT

Original text of this message