Re: student question: incremental backups (level 0 and level 1)

From: obakesan <>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 14:36:21 GMT

In article
<>, "" <> wrote:

>No. They are below the HWM so they do get backed up. Any block below
>the HWM has the potential to contain data. Thus, all blocks below the
>HWM are backed up.

Hmm ... but I thought that only used blocks were backed up in an incremental backup. Does this mean that it can't determine if a block is used or not used?

>It's wrong only in your mind. It's correct in terms of the concepts
>and functionality of RMAN.

well, of course everything only ever exists in my mind. All of this will cease to exist when that stops ;-)

See Ya
(when bandwidth gets better ;-)

Chris Eastwood
Photographer, Programmer Motorcyclist and dingbat blog:

please remove undies for reply Received on Wed Jun 25 2008 - 09:36:21 CDT

Original text of this message