ORA-01801: date format is too long for internal buffer (stored procedure called from Java using decode)

From: Maija-Leena <kangasmaki_at_netti.fi>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 06:40:27 GMT

Hi,

I'm calling a database procedure from Java and I sometimes get ORA-0180 from this update:

UPDATE table1 SET date1=DECODE(date1,NULL,SYSDATE,date1), date2=SYSDATE WHERE ... What makes this difficult is that most of the time this works even with the very same row (it has a valid datevalue in date1).

Is this due to Application Server's timezone/language changing or something like that ? I don't think I'll ever get error making the update from SqlPlus.

I'll change this to NVL(date1,SYSDATE) as it should be so that might solve my problem, but I still would like to know why I get this error.

Thanks in advance,

Maija-Leena Received on Wed Jun 25 2008 - 01:40:27 CDT

Original text of this message