Role/Security Question

From: Dereck L. Dietz <dietzdl_at_ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 20:44:20 -0400

Oracle 10.2.0.3.0
Windows Server 2003

In our database the security has been wide open (every table has been granted SELECT TO PUBLIC). Also, every schema has had privileges such as SELECT ANY TABLE granted to them.

We're going to be having outside users start using the database and there are only certain tables they're supposed to have access to.

I've been trying to revoke PUBLIC from all the tables and grant privileges through roles.

For the most part it's going okay but we've received an insufficient privilege violation for a schema trying to select from tables owned by other schemas to create a view. The schema has the proper role to select from the tables but it wouldn't work until I granted the SELECT ANY TABLE privilege.

What am I doing wrong? Received on Thu Jun 19 2008 - 19:44:20 CDT

Original text of this message