Re: Heteregenous connections client ==> oracle database ==> sqlserver

From: Shakespeare <whatsin_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 19:27:22 +0200

"Mark D Powell" <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com> schreef in bericht

On Jun 19, 8:28 am, chris.br..._at_providentinsurance.co.uk wrote:

> I am using 9i client to connect a 9i database 9.2.0.5 enterprise / 9i
> listener
>
> I have setup an ODBC connection to a sqlserver database on this server
>
> I can run the following code on the server
>
> select * from mi_v_agents_at_rdt ...where rdt is a link
>
> whenever I try and run from my client it fails / ORA-12154
>
> I am a bit confused as I can use the listener to connect to 9i
> oracle / but obviously not to the sqlserver database via the link .. I
> am thinking it is related to tnsnames files being used but I would
> have thought that I would be just using config on the server once I'd
> connected to the 9i database.
>
> From the documentation I've put what I thought were the correct
> entries in tnsnames.ora/listener.ora
> and in \hs\admin\initfile on the server
>
> Any suggestions on methods of diagnozing\tracing where I am failing
> would be appreciated
>
> cheers
> Chris B

What are the details for the database link: public vs private, current user or explicit user?

Only the tnsnames.ora file on the database server needs to have an entry for the remote database. The listener.ora and hs_init.ora would also only need to exist on the database server.

The question Shakespeare asked about the username in use and the request for information on the contents of the tnsnames.ora, listener.ora is also important.

HTH -- Mark D Powell --

You're right, only server settings should matter. I just asked for both files to be sure to get the right one, and to check for typo's. Doesn't the default domain setting on the client have any influence? I thought that when you use a non-fully qualified link name, the domain was resolved on the client by the names.default_domain = setting in SQLNET.ORA. But I'm not too sure about that in cobination with db-links, because in that case the server is the client.

Shakespeare Received on Thu Jun 19 2008 - 12:27:22 CDT

Original text of this message