unregistering old dbid's from rman catalog

From: Chuck <skilover_nospam_at_bluebottle.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 15:34:47 GMT

Looking for assistance in unregistering old dbid's from the rman catalog. The db in question is a test db that is duplicated from a production db every so often and each time it gets duplicated, it creates a new dbid for the test db, effectively abandoning the old dbid and all it's associated backups. These backups have already been removed externally from the backup media. I want to get rid of all references to it from the rman catalog now.

The current version of the db is 10.2.0.3 though some of the old backups were taken in 9.2.0.5 and 9.2.0.8. I've tried following the example from the rman documentation for the UNREGISTER DATABASE command (http://tinyurl.com/4rpe8u) but it yields the error below. Note that the db name and catalog name are correct in the actual script but were replaced in text below. What am I doing wrong? TIA

$ rman catalog rmanuser_at_rmancatname

Recovery Manager: Release 10.2.0.3.0 - Production on Thu Jun 19 11:27:20 2008

Copyright (c) 1982, 2005, Oracle. All rights reserved.

recovery catalog database Password: <password entered here> connected to recovery catalog database

RMAN> run

2> {
3> set dbid 4134200886;
4> UNREGISTER DATABASE dbname NOPROMPT;

RMAN-00558: error encountered while parsing input commands RMAN-01009: syntax error: found "unregister": expecting one of: "allocate, alter, backup, beginline, blockrecover, catalog, change, copy, convert, crosscheck, configure, duplicate, debug, delete, execute, endinline, flashback, host, mount, open, plsql, recover, release, replicate, report, restore, resync, }, set, setlimit, sql, switch, startup, shutdown, send, show, transport, validate" RMAN-01007: at line 4 column 1 file: standard input Received on Thu Jun 19 2008 - 10:34:47 CDT

Original text of this message