Re: Memory problems, Oracle 10, Win 2003 (32 bit)

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 16:03:17 +0200

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 06:55:28 -0700 (PDT), "mike.reid" <chmonkey_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>- Don't you want Oracle to _never_ page to disk? The fact that there
>is 4gb (physical) memory in the old server and that Oracle was only
>using 800mb physical, but 1.7gb total (at the time I was on the
>thing), then is perhaps a course of action to disable the pagefile to
>force Oracle to use only physical memory? As a test at least?

Oracle 32 bit only can address 1.7 Gb of memory. Winblows will always use 50 (fifty) percent of memory, without special precautions.
(Oracle also needs special precautions to use memory beyond 1.7 Gb. You can plug whatever RAM in the system, or increase the pagefile to 100Gb: it simply won't be used.)

It will continue to do so if you disable the pagefile, the pagefile is a server wide device.
If you really are going to disable the pagefile you will create a situation of complete memory starvation. You are aware what 'virtual memory' is? The SGA will be created in virtual memory, and you simply can not take it out of virtual memory (on some O/S es this is called the 'non-paged pool' Winblows doesn't have a non-paged pool). Also tuning an application by throwing memory at it, only makes hardware vendors merry.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA