Re: Backup of D:\oracle on Windows

From: joel garry <>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 11:14:57 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 17, 5:29 am, gazzag <> wrote:
> On 17 Jun, 13:11, howard <> wrote:
> > 1. Yes, it is the ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_BASE.
> > 2. The datafiles would reside on a LUN on a separate drive.
> > 3. Shut it down if I want to do a cold copy.
> > Thanks
> > Howard
> Howard, you can't use RMAN to backup a file system.  Ideally, if any,
> the only files being written to under ORACLE_HOME will be your dump
> files.  "show parameter dump" will confirm whether this is the case or
> not.  As long as there are no database files (data files, redo etc)
> under ORACLE_HOME, I'd look into using the "xcopy" command from the
> command prompt.
> -g

You might be able to do something like create a stored procedure that does the OS command (one example: ), then see the docs for "Executing a PL/SQL Stored Procedure Within RMAN: Example".

But I have this vague memory that xcopy misses a file if the db is not shutdown... or is it some service? Too long since I've tried it. I do think there is value in backing up non-data Oracle, all those config files for EM and whatall can be screwed up so easily.

-- is bogus.