Re: server time reset

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 06:21:46 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 17, 7:52 am, Ben <benal..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> 10.2.0.2 EE aix 5.2
>
> we have a server that somehow got behind in time by 5 minutes. I
> mentioned it to the sysadmin and next thing I knew she had changed the
> time on the server ahead 5 minutes. First thought was panic and what
> is going to happen to the database now. Nothing seemed to happen. We
> haven't rebooted the server yet or restarted the database that was
> running on that server yet. I could see some really disasterous
> scenarios if the time was pushed back, but essentially we skipped
> about 5 minutes of the day. Anyone ever have this happen before or
> have any comments on things they could see coming down the line when
> the database restarts?

This happens, twice yearly, when Daylight Savings Time commences and when Standard Time returns, and this involves an hour difference either way, and I've yet to experience any issues with Oracle. Yes, during the above-mentioned scenario you can duplicate an hour which could make it difficult to perform a PITR based upon clock time, but you still have the SCN as a reference point, and that doesn't change when the clock does.

I really see no issue here.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Tue Jun 17 2008 - 08:21:46 CDT

Original text of this message