archiver problems

From: yossarian <>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 10:17:27 +0200

Hello, Oracle on SUSE Linux here.

Since yesterday, the archiver seem not to be able to archive logs anymore. The database is set up to archive logs in the Flash Recovery Area, /var/oracle/disk02/flash_recovery_area. The /var partition has 7.9G available and I am able to create a file in /var/oracle/disk02/flash_recovery_area/ZEN1/archivelog/2008_06_17.

Here's my problem: after some database activity I am not able to connect to the database anymore because I get this error:

ORA-00257: archiver error. Connect internal only, until freed.

I solved with this workaround:

alter system archive log all to '/tmp' ; alter system archive log stop ;

But I would like to understand what happened, even if this is just a development system.

Thank you. Kind regards, Yossarian Received on Tue Jun 17 2008 - 03:17:27 CDT

Original text of this message