Need help trying to figure out accounting database schema

From: jmDesktop <needin4mation_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 20:01:23 -0700 (PDT)

For an accounting / banking database, I have the following in a two transaction tables showing what someone spends or credits:

Transaction Table //one only
--

TransactionID
UserID

TransactionItemID Table //many
--

TransactionItemID
TransactionID

AccountTable //one to one from TransactionID Table
--

AccountID
TransactionItemID

One transcation, many items tied to that single transaction. Results of that transaction put in the account table. Is this right or too many tables?

In my logic I can change the balance and a purchase or debit was incurred. I would have to have a starting balance to begin with (but what if it is the first transaction? I'd have not item and a blank transactionitemid.) It would simply be a credit when the user first starts using the database for that account and as they went along simple addition and subtraction for each item tied to a single transactionid.

Should the transaction table have the debit, credit, and balance table in it? Am I thinking about schema wrong? I couldn't find any example accounting or banking database schemas online to learn from for this (the ones I found didn't have what I wanted.)

Thank you for any insight. Received on Sun Jun 15 2008 - 22:01:23 CDT

Original text of this message