Re: Memory problems, Oracle 10, Win 2003 (32 bit)

From: gym dot scuba dot kennedy at gmail <kennedyii_at_verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 17:30:00 GMT

"mike.reid" <chmonkey_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:5503e537-f8f0-44ad-8fb8-24d4f4924d87_at_y38g2000hsy.googlegroups.com...
>I was hoping to get some assistance from the group....
>
> I am working with a client who is running into some memory problems
> with their Oracle database.
>
> Now I am not an expert by a long shot, but the application vendor has
> told us that their rule of thumb is to always force a pagefile that is
> 2.5 times the physical memory (so 10gb in this case).
>
> My understanding on the subject was that because Oracle is
> "Opportunistic" with its memory usage that you actually want to pretty
> much disable the pagefile altogether so that Oracle does use it.
>
> Just taking a look at the server seems to tell that Oracle is using
> about 800mb of physical and 1.7gb total. Is it reasonable in your
> opinion to run a test and disable the pagefile all together?
>
> Any help that anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Mike

I am not sure what the problem is. You say Oracle is using about half the memory in the machine. You say you have memory problems. What is the memory problem? Very unclear what problem you are having.

On Windows machines if you allocate more memory than you have RAM then you will swap some of the memory pages to disk (in the pagefile) If you rarely access that memory than things might not be too bad. If you keep accessing memory that has been swapped to disk - and force other pages to be written to disk - then you can have the machine grind to a halt as it tries to use disk as if it were RAM. This is true of Oracle using the memory or Word or any program.

Our crystal balls are in the shop, you need to enlighten us as to what is going on more specificaly. My first bit of advice would be to NOT disable the pagefile.
Jim Received on Sun Jun 15 2008 - 12:30:00 CDT

Original text of this message