Re: 9iR2 exp -> 10g imp

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 05:51:49 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 14, 12:06 pm, Arch <send..._at_spam.net> wrote:

snip

> This little project is proving to be a bit more challenging than I had
> anticipated.  There doesn't seem to be a single process that gives me
> what I need.
>
> GS's suggestion to use the "Create Like" in the em GUI is intriguing.
> It does include the grants.  It's quite tedious for several hundred
> users, however.

Scripting is what it is all about. You are making me nervous the the "em GUI" remark.

> Noons' suggestion to list out the dump file made with full=y from
> source database is likewise, very useful.  I can get user creates and
> grants from that.  The listing doesn't come out in a "usable" script
> format, so there is lots of editing to do.
>
> To simply create a script to create the users, the easiest method
> seems to be simply spool a select username and password from
> dba_users.  That, of course, doesn't help with the grants.

Hopefully most or all of the access requirements ( grants ) are being handled already by roles.

A little judicious use of some sql, some plsql, and ( perhaps release dependent ) some dbms_metadata should allow you a nice set of different scripts. For me, you want one set for the roles, another for the user creations, another for granting the roles to the users, and another to give the access rights to the roles.

> All in all, it has been a learning experience for me. Thanks to all
> who offered suggestions.  Users expect to go live in the new database
> on Monday.

Good luck although with correct planning and testing the need for luck is much reduced! Received on Sun Jun 15 2008 - 07:51:49 CDT

Original text of this message