Re: Connecting to oracle (via JDBC) from unix through a firewall

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 07:37:51 +0200

On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 20:42:30 -0700 (PDT), geoffeg <geoffeg_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am trying to access my employer's Oracle server through a Java
>application (using JDBC thin). "I originally tried ssh -L
>1521:$serverIP$:1521 user@$employerShellServer$" but I quickly
>discovered that Oracle tries to make a second connection back to the
>client via a random port. I've looked at previous threads on this
>newsgroup on how to fix this problem but many of them refer to Oracle
>Metalink (which I don't have an account for) or specify adding
>registry keys (which won't work in linux/OS X).
>
>I've also tried changing my JDBC url to specify SERVER=DEDICATED
>(example below) but I only get the same error (IO Exception: The
>Network Adapter could not establish the connection).
>
>Is there some way (hopefully via the JDBC url) I can tell oracle to
>connect back through the incoming port (1521) or some utility I can
>install on my employer's shell server to act an as oracle proxy?
>
>Thanks,
>Geoffeg

The solutions I posted many times are, in order of preference:

  • set up Oracle Connection Manager on the database server. Connection Manager isn't installed automatically, you'll need a custom install
  • set up shared server on the database, using a fixed port
  • set up use_shared_sockets=true in sqlnet.ora on the database server. This will affect all clients, and all clients will be shut down, when you shut the listener.

Hth

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA