Re: Crossing over from SQL Server

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 10:40:11 -0700

euan.garden_at_gmail.com wrote:

>> SQL Server
>> -----------------
>> Well we all know how this came about don't we so need to dredge up the dirt.

> You know Daniel you continue to disapoint. The fact that you are
> teaching cross-over courses and yet still peddling this stuff is
> tragic. We've had this many times, yes a version of Sybase was based
> on the Ingres project and a version(actually set of versions) of SQL
> Server was based on Sybase but I once again refer you to this entry
> which explains the re-architecture work done starting with SQL 7 that
> makes this linking of yours beyond even tenous.

Both Oracle and Sybase can throw away 100% of their code bases and that would be irrelevant to the point I am making. What has been recoded still uses the same read consistency model, transaction architecture, the same locking model: Nor has the verbiage changed.

If you have specific facts that you can point to that show, for example undo/rollback segments in SQL Server, I am sure we would all be interested.

PS: Disappointing you is not one of the criteria I use when deciding what to post.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor