Re: Crossing over from SQL Server

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 08:36:19 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 12, 11:10 pm, euan.gar..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> > SQL Server
> > -----------------
> > Well we all know how this came about don't we so need to dredge up the dirt.
>
> You know Daniel you continue to disapoint. The fact that you are
> teaching cross-over courses and yet still peddling this stuff is
> tragic. We've had this many times, yes a version of Sybase was based
> on the Ingres project and a version(actually set of versions) of SQL
> Server was based on Sybase but I once again refer you to this entry
> which explains the re-architecture work done starting with SQL 7 that
> makes this linking of yours beyond even tenous.
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/euanga/archive/2006/01/19/514479.aspx
>
> Of course the tragic part in this particular thread is that original
> poster received very sound advice from everyone here, including you,
> without flaming/stupidity, right up to this whole history part of the
> thread.
>
> -Euan
> (Apologies if this is a double post I'm having weird timout issues)

I do not see how the MS rewrite for version 7 changes the history Daniel provided nor does it change the fact that SQL Server 2000 and Sybase still shared a hundred same named stored procedures for performing the same function within the database at the time SQL Server 2000 was released.

Is SQL Server 2000/2005/2008 Sybase, no. But the two products do share some history. As more time goes by more divergence is taking place but history is still history.

  • Mark D Powell --